Radius: Off
km Set radius for geolocation

Travel to University in Australia

Once you choose your university, working out the best way to get there from overseas or within Australia is the next step. Links4UniLife links to an extensive list of resources and essential information about getting to each Australian university campus.

The content on this site will make it easy for you to plan your arrival at the university of your choice in readiness for the start of your study. Links to detailed information about travel and transport options, arrival procedure, immigration and customs requirements. This section offers in-depth information about key dates, accommodation options, support networks and services, and much more…


The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs provides comprehensive information about student visa requirements and the application process, as well as application document checklists to assist you with your application. For more information visit student visas.

In addition, we have provide some quick links below for students travelling to Australia who are attending university:

Booking your flight and airport pickup

If you are travelling to Australia from overseas, it is important to confirm what the current border restrictions may be prior to booking your flight. In some instances, domestic students may also have similar restrictions imposed (e.g., COVID-19 travel restrictions), hence it is important to confirm if these will affect your travel. If you can travel, Links4UniLife recommends that your flights are booked as early as possible so that you can plan to arrive in Australia or your university location at least two weeks prior to the commencement of your classes.



13 Cabs




Travelling with your family

If you are travelling from overseas, it is important to consider the following before making the decision to bring your family to Australia. You need to consider various elements such as childcare, school fees, and additional living expenses. Although, most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants, you may have to prove that you can support them financially before moving to Australia with your family.

Flight Centre


Australian Border Force

Australia has strict quarantine laws about what items can be brought into the country. This aims to protect Australia’s agriculture and tourism industries and unique environment from serious pests and diseases. More information can be found at Travelling to Australia.

All food, plant and animal products must be presented for inspection upon arrival in Australia. More information on what can and cannot be brought into Australia is available at Entering and Leaving Australia.

In most instances though, you can bring desktop or laptop computers and similar electronic equipment duty free into Australia for your study if Customs is satisfied that these items are intended to be taken with you on departure. More information about your duty free allowance can be found at Australian Duty Free.

Health Check and Medicine

It is recommended that international student visa holders have a medical, optical and dental check-up before arriving in Australia as the Overseas Student Health Cover does not always include dental and optical insurance and is often an optional cover, costing more. Without the extra cover, dental and optical costs can be quite high in Australia. Some students therefore decide to bring a spare set of glasses or contact lenses to reduce additional costs.

Also, if you have pre-existing medical conditions or take prescribed medication, it may be beneficial to request your doctor to describe your healthcare needs in English. This can then be used in Australia if required. It is also important that you declare all drugs and herbal and/or traditional medicines to Australian Border Force when you enter Australia. Hence, it is important that you keep all medicines in their original packaging while travelling to Australia.

If you are a domestic student, you can always apply for private health insurance if required, which can often reduce costs such as optical or dental.

International Student – Document Checklist

If you are travelling to Australia to study, it is important to have the following documents on hand (preferably packed in your hand luggage):

  • a copy of your student visa and/or letter confirming e-visa
  • passport
  • other formal identification
  • international drivers’ licence or your home country drivers licence
  • citizenship certificate (if applicable)
  • home country ID card
  • a copy of your university enrolment and acceptance offer
  • receipt of payment for university fee
  • purchase receipt for Overseas Student Health Cover
  • certified copies of your academic transcripts and certificates and letter of scholarship award (if applicable)
  • copy of your English language test results
  • final medical and dental check-up reports, including written medical advice relating to any pre-existing medical conditions
  • references from landlords if you have rented or leased housing before
  • references from past employers
  • confirmation of airport pick-up booking.

International Student Identity Card

An International Student Identity Card (ISIC) will allow you to access student discounts on flights and other goods and services. More information on how to apply for an ISIC can be found on the International Student Identity Card site.

Apply Now

Orientation Week

In your first year at university, most students are expected to attend Orientation Week (O-Week). During this week you will receive critical information about your university, your student card, and any other administrative requirements for your degree. If you are unable to attend O-Week, it may be beneficial to contact your university ahead of time so that you can organise for the administrative elements to be completed at an alternate time.

Find My Uni O-week

Australian Language

Australia has no official language; however, it predominately uses English. Therefore, most universities teach in English and if you are an international student from a non-English speaking country, it is likely that you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency as part of the university entry requirements.

The level of language proficiency will depend on where you choose to study. If you do not meet the required standard for the university, you may need to complete additional English language courses. It is therefore important that you check the specific prerequisites for your university before you apply.

Completing an English language course can help you meet the language proficiency requirements for entry into university in Australia. Courses are often provided through secondary schools, TAFE institutes, universities, private colleges, and specialist English language centres. They are designed to improve your ability to read, write and speak confidently in English.

English Language Tests

There are several different language tests used by Australian universities to assess the English-speaking ability of international students. Examples of the tests include:

Australian Finances


The Australian dollar (AUD) is the currency of Australia. Where $1 equals 100 cents, the currency is made up from 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, and $2 coins and $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 notes.

Although this is the standard currency format, the marked price of an item could include a single cent value e.g., 99 cents. If that happens, when using cash to pay, the item value is rounded to the nearest 5c value. For example, if you are purchasing an item that is $5.32, you will pay $5.30 for that item. This is not the case if you pay by credit or debit card as it will be the exact figure.


As a university student in Australia, it is important to open a bank account if you do not already have one. However, Australia Awards scholarship students will not need to do this as a bank account will be opened on their behalf.

In Australia, banks tend to be one of the safest places to store your money. Other financial institutions also offering similar services to the larger banks include credit unions, building societies, finance companies, life insurance companies and merchant banks.

Before opening a bank account, it is important to talk to your local banks about the different types of accounts they offer, as most banks will have a designated student account. Once you have chosen an account type, you will require several items of personal identification to open an account. In most instances, personal identification items can include your passport, overseas driving licence, another banks credit card, and your Student ID card.

Note: It is important to remember that all interest earned in Australian banks is subject to tax by the Australian Government. Students are advised to supply a Tax File Number shortly after opening a bank account. Otherwise, the bank is required by law to deduct tax from any interest earned, above a certain threshold.



Commonwealth Bank


Featured Universities

Statistics: 31 Categories 91 Locations 156 Resources

You cannot copy content of this page